Tuesday, November 4, 2008

19th Amendment Women's right to Vote

The 19th Amendment
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Passed August 18, 1920


My grandmother told me about the first time she could vote. She said she was so proud to able to vote and then realized she and my grandfather (she had been married for 2 months) had voted for different people for President.

According to wikipedia, the 1920 election was Warren Harding (R) versus James Cox (D). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1920

So if they had bumper stickers in those days, one of my grandparents could have proudly displayed, "Don't blame me, I voted for James Cox."

It's Election Day, go VOTE!

No comments: