Friday, March 7, 2008

Joshua Griffith and Long Run Baptist Church

It's been about a month since I posted. My life in the present often gets in the way of my researching the past.

I have found a few things ....

Don't you just love the internet?!?!? What did we do before?????
I saw a "post-em" on rootsweb.com about an article in the Indiana Magazine of History. I was able to find the magazine website http://www.indiana.edu/~imaghist/index.html with a searchable index. And then my library had the two articles on microfilm.

In Volume #31 in 1935 "The Long Run Baptist Church" by Ella Porter Griffith. Ella's father, Joshua Griffith was the pastor for 45 years. A few facts from the article:
The family is of Welsh descent.
The church started in 1818 on land given by William J. Griffith (Joshua's father) in Craig Township seven miles from Vevay. In 1843, it moved across the road and the old church ground became a cemetery.
My great great aunt, Ann Marie Griffith, sometimes led the singing.


Volume #36 in 1940 "Joshua Griffith: Pioneer Preacher" by Ella Porter Griffith
Relevant stuff from the article:
Family left Virginia for Kentucky around 1800.
Uncle John Sigmon in Parks Ridge in Switzerland County, Indiana.
Joshua Griffith born December 11, 1823 to William J. and Catherine Griffith.
Big brothers Tom and John.
Older married sister Mary who dies when Joshua was young.
Joshua is 18 years old when he is ordained at Milton Baptist Church in Jefferson County, Indiana.
Marries Caroline M. Vernon in October 1848.
Caroline has a sister Liza.

The article ends with a quote from a letter written to Ella's oldest sister. "Your father and I have been neighbors for more than sixty years and I know of no one that I would rather have for a neighbor in the great hereafter than him."

No comments: